Monday, September 24, 2012

Development Wonders

I just can't get over the way Gus learns. For other parents, I suppose you've already seen and experienced these things but for me it's just fascinating to see the things this kid picks up.

He is obsessed with what is on his tee shirt every day so I had chosen this varsity style shirt and said to him, "You're going to be the 'Big Man on Campus' today, see?" He points to it and says, "Two!" I whipped the shirt around to where I could see it again and oh my goodness, there IS a 2 on it! Where did he learn to recognize the number 2?!

Then he was watching "Super Why", a cartoon about letters and stories and words. They were going through the alphabet and stopped to talk about Q and I hear him repeat after them, "Q". Then they were talking about the letter D and they ask, "What sound does the letter D make?" Before they gave the answer he was making the D noise. How in the world does he know this stuff?

In preparation for being out and about at Corn Festival, I have been asking him what his name is. I've never heard him say, "Gus". Usually, if he answers, he answers, "Ma". And when I ask him how old he is and hold up 1 finger, he'll hold up 1 finger, too. But when I say, "One", he says, "Two". Because of course that's what comes next. I swear he knows the answers and is capable of getting these 2 basic answers correct but I think he's such a jokester already.

Also, this kid has really gotten into playing pretend lately. He simply adores making car noises and playing with his matchbox cars. And I've watched him take a toy in each hand (a great developmental milestone for him in itself as his left hand gets more and more function!) and have each toy talk to the other. He just cracks me up!

Sitting on the couch the other day with Grandma and one of our German Shepherds, Esther, he leans over to Esther and says, clear as anything, "Give me a kiss".

I can't wait to see what he comes up with next!

No comments:

Post a Comment